Monday, November 30, 2009

Rebuttal

Hey peeps,

I am writing in response to the recent submissions concerning Sodexo and the ongoing debate on dining choices and options at Slayter.

As one of many students who go to this school thanks to scholarships, and who is wary of where my money goes in terms of the meal plan, I can surely speak for others and say that this issue is of immediate concern to me.

Although I don’t necessarily back Ben Leatherman in terms of his outlook on DCGA, or his communist-geared suggestions on how to improve the dining situation (although humorous), I did appreciate his recognition of the fact that several other universities offer dining options that are 24-7, and the fact that prices are all the more reasonable. I also appreciate his research in finding out that our situation is not necessarily the fault of Sodexo.

This is where I get brutally honest. I was APPALLED by the response submitted by an unnamed “Sedexo” staff member, who actually spelled “S-o-d-e-x-o” with the incorrect spelling. I was more appalled, however, by their blatantly ignorant assumptions about the Denison student body.

Judging by the fact that the spelling and grammar in the submission was as equally heinous as their logic, I’ll break this down nice and simple:

1. BUY A DICTIONARY. “Witch” does not equal “which.” You work at “Slayter”, not “Slater”-- it says so on the building. You send a “fax” electronically, but I think you meant to use “facts”, although your argument was so clouded I could be mistaken. I could go on, but even as an English major I would have taken no offense to these errors, had your arguments themselves not been so misguided.

2. I am willing to admit that MANY, if not MOST students are off spending MOST, if not ALL of their money on beer and getting drunk. However, THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL STUDENTS, AND TO ASSUME SO IS OFFENSIVE. I am not alone in saying that I pay for part of my tuition, as well as hold a second job in order to provide myself with spending money that doesn’t come from my parents. (So yes, I have a “real job”, as you called it.) And guess what? I spend that money on food. Even food at SLAYTER. Even more appalling is that I don’t party every weekend. Shocking, I know. And I can, without a doubt, attest to knowing dozens of other students with the same lifestyle.

Can I also add that if I were your employer, and observed you writing in a student-run newsletter, accusing students of “masturbating to pin-ups of girls in slutty outfits”, that I would probably have you fired immediately for your disgusting lack of professionalism? Please don’t damage the image of the Slayter employees who ARE kind, friendly, and above all, value their jobs.

3. I will admit that parts of Ben Leatherman’s argument could be construed as offensive. I can understand how the idea of hiring executive chefs could not only be considered insulting, but very expensive. However, your logic is flawed. You said that “parents would have to pay over 125,000.00 dollars in tuition.” Assuming that the increase is going toward the dining hall, we are assuming that the cost of tuition would increase by 80,000.00 per student, meaning the school would receive an extra $160,000,000.00. Just for Slayter’s dining staff. Does that sound right to you?

Anyway, those were my biggest problems with your argument. As I see it, you needed to get YOUR facts straight about the student body before you start making gross judgments about the kind of people we are. I assure you that you probably know as much about our personal lives as we know about yours, and I can speak for myself and many others in saying that we’ve shown nothing but respect for Slayter and its staff. As much as I have always, and wish to continue to put my support behind the Slayter staff, your response to Ben Leatherman will do nothing but to widen the gap between Slayter employees and the student body.

Bravo.

-Kara Lemarie
#8889

No comments: