Wednesday, April 15, 2009

In my entry this past Thursday, I was very careful to leave out any personal attacks on
the BSU's character. Upon reading responses in Friday's issue, however, I believe certain
details about the BSU's actions should be brought to the public sphere for discussion.
This decision was brought about specifically by the submission by Ja'Vida, Tyra and Jamie
in which they say that the BSU has made "a steadfast commitment to benefit and support
the entire Denison community - regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, religious beliefs
or sexual orientation, etc." As Vice President of Outlook, the gay rights organization on
campus, I can say that, in my experience, this has not been the case.
*** I want to be clear that I am an individual speaking my own opinion - I do NOT
represent Outlook's stance in this submission. ***
The BSU has repeatedly - repeatedly - refused to cosponsor or participate in events with
Outlook throughout this year. For example, the BSU failed to respond to Outlook's request
for the BSU to co-sponsor the annual Red Party (a campus wide event originally started as
a collaboration between the BSU and Outlook). Outlook's question was passed around from
person to person and was never given a direct answer. Further, the BSU's Culture Jam
bumped Outlook's Red Party out of the Roost even though Outlook had made reservations
before Culture Jam had set dates. While this very well may not have been intentional on
the BSU's part, when the scheduling problem occurred, the BSU again did not respond or
try to help Outlook solve the issue. In addition to the Red Party, the BSU consistently
failed to respond to invitations Outlook extended to its members for different meetings
and events throughout the year. Through its silence, the BSU expressed its unwillingness
to associate with Outlook --behavior that is hardly indicative of an organization that
wants to "benefit and support" Denison's LGBTQA community.
*** Again, this submission is NOT to establish a hostile dialogue with the BSU or to
perpetuate any such competitive or otherwise negative exchange between organizations on
campus, but I believe it is important to note that as a leader of a minority organization
I have personally felt shunned by the BSU. ***
I also would like to take this opportunity to respond to the accusations that those of us
who strongly disagree with the BSU's actions in response to this budget situation are
"negating The Black Student Union's role on this campus", "have failed to read the
demands in full before passing judgment", and "have been brainwashed into the white,
patriarchal views of oppression that continuously faults the subtly oppressed".
In response to the first charge: both as an individual and as a leader of a minority
group, I fully recognize the significant role the BSU plays on this campus. This is why,
no matter how many times the BSU turned Outlook down, I supported trying to include the
group in our plans. I believe the BSU has a powerful, important voice in our campus
atmosphere. I wish, therefore, that the organization was spending its time trying to fix
this budget problem -- instead of presenting irrational demands and pointing fingers --
so that our campus can benefit from its presence next year.
As to the claim that I have not read the BSU's demands in full, this also is untrue. In
fact, I have read what was presented to the DCGA as well as the letter that was sent out
to the administration the following day. Reading these documents not only served to
justify my frustrations with the BSU's actions, but the words actually increased my
anger. I agree, however, that individuals should be fully informed before passing
judgment on the situation, so, readers, please try to get your hands on these documents
if you can.
Finally, in response to the accusation of being "brainwashed" and "oppressive", I have
very little to say other than how dare you dismiss my opinions by throwing the race card
in my face. I have spent a significant portion of my life fighting for equality of all
kinds - economic, racial, gender and sexual orientation based - so do not tell me that
because I find the BSU's actions irresponsible and exclusive that I am immoral and unjust.
If you would like to talk to me about anything in this submission, feel free to contact
me:
swenss_e@denison.edu
Slayter box 8904

No comments: