Monday, December 7, 2009

Response to 8580 and Kaitlyn Grissom by Sean 9036

To 8580:
When you tell me to become involved with the DCGA Dining Hall Committee, are you suggesting that my ideas are original and reasonable? To such a degree, that were I to have a “position” of power on this campus, then I would be able to get my way and so dramatically alter the dining hall situation? Are you suggesting that by going through the silly (and it IS silly in its current form) and by no means necessary (unless you want to pull an Aristotelian argument, which I doubt you do) measures that consist in trying to become a major part of DCGA… And from there I, once elected (VOTE FOR SEAN, FOLLOWED BY SOME SILLY SLOGAN AND A PICTURE WITH ME LOOKING ALL-DISINGENUOUS!), I could magically make meaningful change on this campus… Then I, I Sean!, WOULD see some changes?! …OH, BUT IF ONLY IT WERE THAT EASY!
Why can’t I just on occasion write into the bullsheet and address an issue on this campus? Why can’t I write in for the sole public purpose of catching some people’s attention? Why can’t I write in to simply add my vocal discontent to the long list of those before me? …Maybe someone needs to start overseeing the bullsheet, start doing something with these ideas some of us students have taken the time to write in regarding. THAT’S ANOTHER IDEA FOR YOU TO DISMISS SOMEHOW! This overseer could be the type of someone who recognizes that students at this school actually have opinions worth considering. Some of those opinions are good, even. Some of those opinions are even popular (like the Sudexo complaint). Some of those opinions are perhaps worthy of being turned into something more! Some of those opinions are perhaps good grounds for someone who already has some leadership position to do something about such opinions.
…We do not all need (nor want) to become part of the “establishment” of leaders; and we mostly have very good reasons for that, which are not limited to laziness nor ignorance. We are justified, and I think good, to put our voice out there. We, as student writers, can leave it at that. That is acceptable and worthwhile. When our voice is harmlessly funny, even better. When our voice is pretty conscious of what/how we are contributing to a topic, even better. When our voice can inspire people to become more aware of something, even better. …Until this school becomes a direct democracy, I do not feel compelled to give two shits about becoming involved with DCGA. To whoever currently holds the positions on the Dining Hall Services Committee, are you fighting Sudexo like you should be, like the way students on this campus want you to be?

To Kaitlyn, Sophomore Editor:
Fuck, that WAS clever, that thing you wrote in on monday. For a couple seconds I felt pretty down and out. Then, I was able to come up with a string of pretty nice complaints over what you did there, with your BULLSHEET SUBMISSION FORM. Some questions, to start off: a) what is the bullsheet supposed to be? b) what form would you suggest submissions take instead of those already employed? c) where is my professor’s notification which says that I can choose to not write the 4 page paper for his/her class just as long as I spend a lot of time and care in constructing a perfect submission to the bullsheet? d) where is the drug that I am supposed to take in order to bring myself to YOUR conclusion that bitching is pointless (this applies to 8580, too)? e) where is the drug I take which turns me into a pacifist? f) where is the drug that I take which makes me forget that I AM, IN REALITY, NO MATTER HOW I SPIN IT, paying an outrageous sum of money to go to this school? g) where is the drug that I take in order to forget that police, campus security, sections of administration, certain professors, tons of conduct rules, lots of cultural matters etc are absolutely unjustified on this campus?
Excuse me, but “I have noticed” that YOU have impeded on my justified liberty. I kinda laughed, in a good way, when I read your mocking editorial. So, if you were just trying to be funny with your editorial about BULLSHEET SUBMISSION FORM, then sorry for my misunderstanding and no hard feelings. If, however, as I suspect, you were trying to criticize submissions in a very pretentious and elitist way, this little retort I made deserves you. I mean, I do not even think that what I wrote in the week before thanksgiving (regarding an array of issues I take with the dining halls and meal plans) falls too much in line with the FORM you concocted. But I defend those submissions from my peers which do. I defend silly back-and-forth shit. I defend it because why shouldn’t I? If the bullsheet exists. If the bullsheet is something where basically anything can be submitted. If the bullsheet wants to have such lax guidelines. Then the results produced are legitimate. It is a logical matter.
The fact that YOU, someone who works for the bullsheet, have criticized bullsheet content in such a smug manner really irks me. It would be one thing to have written in a little notice saying something to the effect of: we would encourage submissions be more responsible, considerate and content-driven. And maybe that was your intent. But, the fact of the matter is, BULLSHEET SUBMISSION FORM sorta kinda really comes across as a condemnation. I encourage bullsheet contributors to neither feel ashamed nor the need to change their style or agenda.

No comments: