Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wingless Angels and APA Welcome You

READ ME

In the dark Ohio winter, pledge season has finally come to an end. It was a hard one (that’s what she said), but many men accepted bids to the frats of their choice. Some chose to join Phi Delt and endure the walk of the elephant while others longed for endless crossword puzzles in Beta. However, for some, bid season ended without a bid and a wicked hangover. If this was you, please do not fret. I say this gentleman because there is still one institution remaining. Yes, one venerated and decorated institution still searching for members. It is Denison’s proud Wingless Angels. Now you may ask, what does it take to be a wingless angel or am I truly right for the job? To answers these queries, the men of ELLIPSIS have provided you with a series of questions to help you determine if you are just cool enough to be a member of Denison’s most sackless secret society.

Can you keep a secret? Do you look sexy in a hockey mask? Are you a little bit shy? Afraid of sunlight? Does burning wood and scaring helpless freshman give you a stify? Do you sit in your room all day and listen to my chemical romance? Do you have a vast rhetoric of angry curse words? Have you always wanted to be in a band, but can’t play in instrument? Would you want to put feces in my food after reading this? Do you talk a lot of shit, but never back it up? If you answered yes to any of these questions then my “nebbi” friends do we have one of “Penisons” most prestigious babysitter clubs for you. Yes indeed the word is out and the wingless angels are apparently running a bit low on membership this year. We would gladly give you a number to reach them, but unfortunately the wingless angels were unavailable for comment. Thus if you desire to be a member, we only suggest you create as much chaos as possible and bitch bitch bitch until you can’t do so anymore. Oh ya and by the way I want to be in the club…who doesn’t.

ELLIPSIS - 7044

_____________________________________

Hello all,

This is a message to the general population of Denison University, but especially to those who are members of IFC and the Pan-Hellenic Council. My name is Cortez Hicks a current sophomore here at Denison University double majoring in Education and Black Studies,  a current member of Denison Chicago Posse 7, and Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc Rho Upsilon Chapter here at Denison which I am president of. In light of the newest members of both IFC and Pan-Hellenic to be initiated on Denison campus who I welcome to Greek Life! However, my friend who is a new member of Kappa Kappa Gamma asked me the question “why don’t we do programs together?” and my immediate response was “because ya’ll don’t know that we exist!” Some may think that I over exaggerate my point however, I don’t. I have been a member of Denison’s Greek life for approximately about 3 months now, after my initiation I began to wear my letters across campus, to my classes and really all of the time. I was and still am very proud of my organization however, my problem lies in the questions and statements that were made to me since that time.

 Which ranged from:

“What do your letters say?”

“So you’re a part of Alpha Pi Alpha?

“I didn’t know that there were Black Fraternities and Sororities.”

And my favorite:

“Oh so you started a fraternity?”

I say all of this to make that point that we speak about education outside of classroom and out of class interactions amongst students however when the opportunity arises students on campus seem to remain in their shells. I have no problem with answering questions and I really welcome them whole heartedly because I know of the Fraternities and Sororities on campus, but only on the surface and with 30% of Denison’s student population being Greek affiliated, there is no reason that these discussions should be so limited. I once last semester participated in a panel discussion for prospective students, with student representatives from various organizations and the rep from IFC said that the IFC is comprised of the 6 Fraternities on Campus.  I was original shocked and infuriated, because there are more than those on Denison’s campus when you include Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. Why aren’t we included? Why hasn’t an invitation been extended? I want to participate in the IFC Fish Bowl in Slayter because the last time I checked I was a member of a Fraternity that has a Chapter here on campus which I am president of. I will not continue to rant because the Bullsheet needs the paper. So I extend an invitation to all of Denison’s Campus, especially IFC and Pan-Hellenic Council to have a conversation with me on the 1st Floor of Slayter at 9pm today still in time for Meal Exchange! Thursday Feb. 5th 2009. We can discuss our organizations, possible programming opportunities and community service projects.  For those who do not know me I’ll be the 6’1 Black kid with the Black and old Gold Jacket on with the letters ΑΦΑ on it. 

 See you tonight,

Cortez H.

‘08 President of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc

Rho Upsilon Chapter

No comments: