Friday, February 27, 2009

Hello everyone,

In writing this, I hope to not sound redundant, but it seems that another submission is required. For the past year and a half I have worked the Jazzman’s night shift in Slayter. Within my year and half of experience, I have seen an innumerable amount of trash and disrespect discarded on the floors and tables, left for my coworkers to clean up.

As a fellow student, I empathize with the fact that we pay close to $50,000 a year to call this place our home. However, that large bill does not entitle us to leave our trash, or ice bags, or half-eaten crunchwraps for someone else to pick up. When you do that, one of my fellow coworkers, Anita, Erik, John, Philip, Chad, Ben, Johnnie- real people with real lives and dignity are left cleaning up our waste. I use the word “our” because we are a community and while some people always clean up their trash, there is an obvious number who do not and we are thus all responsible for stealing an extra hour of sleep from my coworkers, some of whom already clock in close to 80+ hours a week.

I know we all live busy lives, constantly running around trying to manage school, work, athletics, friends, sanity, etc. However, I believe that we can all spare a mere 30 seconds to scan our tables and walk a few feet to a trash can. I’m not asking this favor for my benefit because in reality I do a lot less manual labor than the people I work with. I am asking this of you because I do not think I can bear to see my coworkers spend so much extra time away from their beds and families in order that the dining room is clean for us tomorrow.

So, I am asking once again to please just take the time to throw away your trash. It would make me and a lot of hardworking people really happy.

Thanks for reading,
Courtney Baxter 2011

** I’ll even add an incentive: for the 50th person I see picking up trash I will write them a $10 check and throw in a free coffee.
***On another completely different note, I wanted to quickly address Everett’s concerns from Monday’s Bullsheet. During the day I work at the Women’s Resource center and I want to assure people that people are talking about the issues of rape and sexual assault; it’s usually just not organized discussion and happens within small groups and rarely reaches the larger, institutional levels. Things are being done to bring awareness and support; it’s just taking time to happen on a wide scale. If anybody wants to know more, email me baxter_c or stop by the WRC (first floor Knapp).

No comments: