Thursday, March 12, 2009

I'm writing in response to Courtney Ego's letter from Friday. Courtney, I think you have great and totally valid points - rape is not going to stop until men stop raping, period. I agree that focusing on women (self-defense, safe party behavior, etc), while it could on occasion help a woman avoid an attack, is ultimately not going to create significant change - if a woman has been able to escape a situation in which she was in danger, there was still an asshole who was trying to assault her, and that's where the problem lies.

The only issue I had with your letter was in the last paragraph, where you clarified your statements with, "I'm not a feminist man-hater." I know a ton of strong, amazing, bold feminists (both men and women), and none of them hate men. That's not what feminism is about - it's not about hate, it's about equality and justice and freedom for everyone. If you think women should be able to party and go on dates without fearing they may be sexually assaulted, that's a feminist perspective.

Your whole letter took a feminist stance on the horrific problem of sexual assault and rape - you called out some of the stereotypes, assumptions, misconceptions, and social inequalities that feed into rape culture. I don't want to tell you that you're a feminist, I think that's something that every person has to decide and choose to embrace for him and herself, but it sounds to me like you very well could be - and to me, that's something to be proud of.

If you or anyone reading this is interested in discussing feminism and women's issues, come to Women's Emphasis (WE)! We meet Tuesdays at 7PM in the women's studies library on the second floor of Knapp, and everyone is welcome.

Jayme Hughes

No comments: