Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Are You In Or You Out?

From Sophia Coppola's Lost in Translation

Bob: Can you keep a secret? I'm trying to organize a prison break. I'm looking for, like, an accomplice. We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country. Are you in or you out?

Charlotte: I'm in. I'll go pack my stuff.

Bob: I hope that you've had enough to drink. It's going to take courage.

***********

Me: Can you open your eyes/mind? I'm trying to organize a prison break. I'm looking for like, some critical reflection about this school. We have to first break out of the stupid confines of our caged living quarters, then take down the existence of sudexo and our limited eating options (which are hurting our stomachs and wallets and not satisfying our want for aesthetic and casual eating experiences), then tear down the suffocating Greek system that has allowed so many kids to extend their dumb high school existence here, simultaneously oppressing other students, and then finally work to improve the supposed learning that is going on in many of the classes offered: smart kids are not being challenged and/or giving up trying to care about classes that feel irrelevant. Are you in or you out?

You:

-- Sean, 9036

No comments: