Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Anti-Semites on Campus by Nick Garafola

I am puzzled and saddened that the resident who was supposed to be moving into my
building is no longer at Denison. I do not know the full details of this story, and I
will not assume them, because I was not present at the time of this issue. However, I am
aware of several details: I had messaged him, asking him when he'd be moving in (and
why), and he replied that he no longer felt safe at Denison because his roommate and
others had threatened him because he is Jewish.

Because he is JEWISH? This is 2010, is it not? I honestly cannot believe that there are
STILL human beings still bitching and moaning because they can't sleep, knowing that they
live next a to a "Jew"...at DENISON of all places... I ask you, do you feel that these
actions are acceptable? Flood my inbox with your opinions, because I want to know.

Obviously, this issue needs to be publicized...not merely related via gossip, and
certainly NOT swept under the rug by Doane Academy, nor anybody else. Where was the
"campus climate watch" alert this time? We have to ask ourselves, do we really want to
put our names on this? Is this the type of community in which we really want to live?
Obviously, some things need to change, unless Denison is OK with losing students who no
longer feel safe on campus. I urge everybody, including students, faculty, and staff, to
question whether or not they will put up with this. Make it a public discussion, because
everybody loses if nobody says anything.

Nick Garafola
Class of 2013
garafo_n1//7427

No comments: