Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Semester, New President

Hello all,

I am currently at UVM for the semester, I know, kind of lame that I'm still in the US yet abroad, but whatever. I'm working with the newspaper here, which was (I think, don't quote me) number five for University student-run publications in the US? It's called the Cynic, it's cool, I'm doing layout stuff. I miss the 'sheet though, especially since our trusty Junior Editor Cruz is gone now too. So, what's going on Denison? Anything exciting? Oh, wait, right, yesterday was MLK day and today we swore in a black president... saweeeet. I can only imagine what the soldiers in Irag and Iran and Afghanistan are thinking, probably they have no idea what to do, cease fire, take a nap, drink a little bit. The war isn't over, but Obama gives us hope for the nation we live in and the relationships we hold with other nations. I really commend his approach at the Inaugural Address with his references to the past present and future and the struggles we've come through. There's a lot to be said also that he called the US a young country, we are still so young, and it's a good perspective to put it into that we are no longer children, that we must take responsibility and make wiser choices for everything involved, not just mindlessly attacking countries and innocent people in the name of freedom.

I am so utterly excited for what the next four years could bring and only hope that Obama follows through. There's so much promise and faith put in him, I really hope he can do what he says he can. I'm sure Denison is in an uproar today, between Republicans and Democrats and the general promise of the future. Being such a small residential campus, there is a better opportunity for community and togetherness felt today. UVM has 10,000 kids, today I sat in my living room with three of my housemates and we watched the events together but I couldn't help think, what if I was in Slayter, with I'm sure, at least 30 people watching this event, the feeling that must have been in that building and all the other buildings across campus. Here, you cannot stop class to watch things like that because it is such a larger community, here you cannot feel a unity as easily as you can at Denison, and though it's sometimes a good thing, today I wish I had the community of Denison, to feel the utter intensity and passion for Obama's words that I'm sure is present.

Have a great semester, everyone! I wish you all the best!

See you in the Fall! -Laura Masters, JR Co-Editor

No comments: